Pistachio-Crusted Halibut with Fennel Balsamic Gastrique
What you will need:
~~ For the Pistachio-Crusted Halibut ~~
• 4 portions (total about 1-1/2 pounds) wild Pacific Halibut fillet, skinned
• 1/4 cup Patricia & Paul Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 cup (125 grams) raw pistachios, crushed with a mortar and pestle
• 1 teaspoon sea salt
~~ For garnish ~~
• 1 cup grape tomatoes
• 1 cup fennel, thinly sliced
• 1 shallot, thinly sliced
• Patricia & Paul Extra-Virgin Olive Oil and sea salt
• 1 apple thinly sliced
~~ For the Fennel Balsamic Gastrique ~~
• 1 tablespoon Patricia & Paul Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• 1/4 cup fennel, thinly sliced and divided into two portions
• 1/4 cup Patricia & Paul Traditional Balsamic
• 1 tablespoon Patricia & Paul raw honey
1. To prepare the fish, wash the fillets and dry with paper towel.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the EVOO and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
3. Put fish in a baking dish and rub the fillets with salt. Pour the EVOO and apple vinegar mixture onto the fish and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C).
5. Remove fish from the refrigerator and press the crushed pistachios on top of the skin side of each halibut fillet to create a crust.
6. Place your baking dish or pan in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Do not overcook.
7. Place the sliced fennel and grape tomatoes in another baking dish, season with a little salt, and drizzle with EVOO. Roast on 400 F for 15 minutes or until golden on the edges and soft. Set aside.
8. In a small frying pan, heat EVOO over medium high heat. Fry shallots until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
9. To make the gastrique, heat EVOO in a sauce pan over medium. Add 1/4 cup of fennel and cook until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Discard the fennel.
10. Increase the heat and reduce for 1 to 2 minutes or until the liquid reduces to half the amount.
11. Add Patricia & Paul Traditional Balsamic and honey and bring to a boil. Reduce liquid by half. Keep an eye on the pan as the mixture can boil over quickly. To prevent this, immediately reduce the heat to low or remove the pan from heat source to avoid burning. Set aside.
12. To assemble, place one fish on a plate, garnish with the roasted tomatoes and fennel. Top the fennel with fried shallot.
13. Drizzle with fennel balsamic gastrique.
14. Serve with slices of apple.